The Unaccompanied Minor Service (UMNR) consists of:
- Support at the check-in counters,
- Taking him/her to the departure lounge
- Care before boarding
- Coordination with the Technical Crew (Flight Attendants) before and during the boarding process
- Care during the flight
- Guidance and custody of the child during connection
- Handover to the person responsible at the destination airport
Unaccompanied minor service is available for children between 5 years old and 13 years, 11 months old; children under five will not be admited as unaccompanied minors.
Make sure not to send minors in the last flights, as they may miss their connecting flight in case of delays or any other event.
Minors will be accepted on direct flights or connecting flights only if operated by Aeromexico and Aeromexico Connect.
Minors must be present at the departure airport at least two and a half hours before the departure time, including domestic and international flights, in case paperwork is needed.
Parents or guardians should remain at the airport until the flight has departed and someone of Aeromexico staff confirms this to them.
Legal framework for Mexican unaccompanied minors
Article 69. Girls, boys, teenagers, and persons under legal guardianship in terms of the civil legislation, Mexicans or foreign, with permanent resident, temporary resident, and temporary student resident status in the national territory, who travel alone or accompanied by an adult third party or an adult different than the persons exercising parental authority or guardianship over them, and that do not submit any of the following documents before the immigration authority:
- Document granted before notary public by means of which, those who exercise parental authority or guardianship authorize them to leave the territory of Mexico, or
- Document issued by an authority empowered to do so. This document may be the form established by the immigration authority for this purpose, available in the locations intended for international transit of persons, as well as by electronic means, especially, on the official web page of the Instituto Nacional de Migración (National Migration Institute), www.inm.gob.mx.
- As of January 24, 2014 a notarized letter, or the authorized form to leave the country, must be presented
Unaccompanied minors who are U.S. citizens, traveling to/from Mexico:
Minors traveling alone or accompanied by one of their parents, guardians or a relative:
- A notarized letter with permission or authorization of parents or guardians is not required (CRM/347/04 INM Mexico).
- The person who is handing over the minor at the airport, must carry with him/her a valid official ID (voting card or passport) for identification purposes at minor's check-in time.
- It is important to explain to the person who is handing over the minor, that the person responsible for receiving the minor at the destination airport must carry with him/her a valid official identification, informing that the delivery of the child shall be at the arrival areas of the domestic/international arrival area depending on the origin of the flight.
|Children under 3 years||Accompanied by an adult (18 years or older)||Direct, in connection, and connection agreement with other airlines.|
|Minors between 3 and 5 years old||Accompanied by an adult or traveling with a companion over 13 years old|
|Minors between 5 and 14 years old||Traveling with an adult or traveling under the aegis of the "Unaccompanied Minor Service"|
|Minors between 14 and 18 years old||Traveling with an adult or optional service of "Unaccompanied Minor"|
Service Fees for Unaccompanied Minors
|Domestic Routes||464 MXN per segment will apply for each minor, regardless if he/she is booked in the same PNR with other minors, or if they are traveling as a group.|
|International Routes||100 USD per segment will apply for each minor, including connecting flights within Mexico, regardless if he/she is booked in the same PNR with other minors, or if they are traveling as a group.|
|Routes from/to USA||100 USD “Origin to Destination” concept applied, including connection flights that last no longer than 24 hours. It will be applied up to four minors only if they are reserved with the same PNR.|